Tuesday, May 12, 2009

My Local Market SUX!
















I live in Long Beach and I enjoy the city alot. It ain't a superior, steller city like Compton (Hub City) but being fair, what city is?

I stopped to grab a couple of items at the local market near my home, the area has been gentrified recently and the market is less than five years old but it's already run down. Now, I like Albertson's. I have been an East Arts Village resident for over 15 years, that's Downtown to anyone who lived there before 1995, so I ain't trying to bash the local chain per se, but I hate the fact that both Albertson's have super long lines, only a few checkers, and the deli counter food is not the fresh. There are three major grocery chains in Los Angeles County Albertsons/Kroger, Ralphs and Safeway/Vons. Now, in the stores nearest to me, all three smell bad, the produce and can goods are not steller and there are usually no more than, three to four checkers serving upwards of 10 people per lines. So it's always crowded! The Deli counter is terrible! Pre-cooked food is heated under hot lamps, new foods piled on top of the old food.

Now, I've been to the stores in middle class Long Beach and they have a full staff of checkers, the store is clean, the deli counter food is fresh and hot and the people are friendly. This has been my experience with Ralphs, Vons and Albertson's in those areas which lead me to conclude that it's because the area is more affluent that those stores have not descended into the crappy conditions of the East side Long Beach Stores and The Downtown area stores.

What do y'all think?

The picture of Vons is from the Naples area of Long Beach. It's like a lil gourmet version of the regular Vons. Again, specialty items, hot, fresh foods, small lines with lots of checkers and it's clean and well lit.

I don't know if this will work but I want to start a campaign against the crappy treatment that working class people get from these chain stores! Yes! I say working class (Poor Folks) cause you can visibility see and smell the difference. The big 3 charge high prices for everyone but the quality of service and goods is where the real imbalance lies.

Any ideas?

BE Prayerful! BE Mindful! BE Careful!

Jaycee

4 comments:

Miss.Stefanie said...

Vons in Montebello is awesome. People are so friendly but prices did go up.

Beautifully.Conjured.Up said...

It sucks that your local stores suck...my mom LOVES cali (she wants to move there), but it's mostly southern cali.

Anonymous said...

Go to the traffic circle Vons and shop over there its better. The Vons on Atlantic/Broadway is old as dirt. The one at the Traffic Circle is the cleanest I think in LB without going too far out of the way.

achoiceofweapons said...

The Vons in the traffic circle is super expensive. Even more so than the one on Broadway and Atlantic. Well thanks anyway though. PS, the Ralphs in the traffic circle suxs now! It used to be sooo clean and great. Now! Nah!