Thursday, November 12, 2009

Mista Jaycee's Serious List of The Greatest Male Vocalists!

The long time readers of A Choice of Weapons have read, re-read, argued for and against and suggested Divas who should make Mista Jaycee's list on the Divas. It's still one of the most popular posts. But now it's time for me to view the MEN!


Now, these lists of course can be subjective according to one's preference, bias and taste so I decided to list a few who I feel have a SOUND no other Male vocalist has. That's right the VOICE!


First Up!



1. Eddie Levert of the Mighty OJay's!

I challenge anyone to dispute this! Name me one singer who EDDIE sounded like! If they exist, I don't think they've been recorded because Eddie Levert's voice like the DIVA Gladys Knight just seems to have come out of nowhere!

Well, what about Gerald Levert Mista Jaycee?


Gerald proves my case! Gerald sounds like Eddie with a little Donnie and Stevie thrown in the pot! Gerald was the next step from Eddie, but his Daddy is the mode! The Bonafide Original!

2. Jeffrey Osborne formerly of LTD!



Before Mr. Osborne was The "Woo Woo" Man, he held the lead on several R and B classics including "Jam!" "Shine On" "Concentrate on You" "Where Did We go Wrong?" and then went on to command a huge market share in the eighties with "Stay with Me tonight!" "On the Wings of Love" and of course "You should be mine" (The Woo Woo Song)


3. Phillipe Wynne formerly of the Spinners, Wynne Jammin and a member of the PFUNK Incorporated Thang!


Who in the world sounds like Philipe? Go ahead name em!



Take a listen to "Sadie" It take a fool to learn that Love don't love nobody" Mighty Love, the Rubber band Man or go to PFUNK's Knee Deep and listen to his ad libs. "I got ants in my pants and I need to dance and tell me that ain't classic!

4. Ronnie Isley


Before he was Mr. Big to R. Kelly, he and the Brothers Isley made hit records for DECADES! The Beatles covered "Twist and Shout" "Shout" was made even more famous when a singer named Duane Jessie took the part of Otis Day and the Knights and sang it in "Animal House". A budding guitar genius named Jimi Hendrix was their sideman before becoming a ROCK LEGEND! Ronnie's voice is unmatched. Ronnie is NOT the greatest Singer but who sounds like him. Ronnie is Easily one of the greatest Song Stylists to caress a Lyric! Bar None # 1


And just to throw a Rock! My last entry! Drum roll please!

5. Luther Vandross! The epitome of class, sophistication and smoove styling. Only Barry White and Ronnie Isley probably ushered in more population growth spurts in the last thirty years!


Sorry El Debarge, Sorry Prince, Sorry Michael! Damn! I miss Mike!
No, for Babymakin Music There's only one sure fire # 1 Dude! It's Luther Vandross bar none. The renowned Background vocal assassin turned Solo Artist sounds like Who? That's right No one! Listen to Chic, David Bowie's Fame or Stevie's Part Time Lovers and you hear that voice! I would say that his first quartet of albums show this beyond a shadow.

Even when he went POP (which I refer to as the Weenie years) that VOICE was still the tops!

So now, go to your corners and come out swinging!

BE Prayerful! BE Mindful! BE Careful!

Jaycee

16 comments:

♥ CG ♥ said...

Yep, these guys are the truth.

chayomao said...

Love Luther Vandross, one of my all time faves.
Nat King Cole, Barry White, James Brown...
Love the O'jays :)

*Dance with my father again*

DC DIVA DATING ADVENTURES said...

Miss you Mr. J - PRINCE will always, always hold the #1 spot for me.....& Maxwell.

Ann Brock said...

Mista Jaycee you nailed it! Especially with Eddie and Phillipe.

achoiceofweapons said...

Hi DC,
Prince and Maxwell are both great! But neither can be included in this conversation. Prince and Max are great for Romantic starter kits but for real, unfettered, Love making, Baby creating action you've gotz to have the above mentioned.
Thanks for Playing!
I missed you!
Jaycee

DC DIVA DATING ADVENTURES said...

Ok Mr. J - I'll agree with you on Max, he is still wet behind the ears. But I must hold fast to Prince, silky, smooth, romantic baby making music - check, crooner - check, musical genius - check, plays his own instruments - check, can sing without bacground vocals - check, politically & spritually aware & produces quality music - check

I rest my case. He must be added to the list!!!

achoiceofweapons said...

DC,
You make a great case but I must protest! Prince while he is a Genius! He is a major talent! He has written some romantic tunes can't get on this list! Not before Russell Thompkins Jr and Eddie Kendricks makes the list! (Stylistics) He is a falsetto singer like Prince but much better at it and he's made more Babies as a result of it!

Nice try! Prince has more than a few lists to be on though.

achoiceofweapons said...

Plus if I added Prince and Max, I'd have to add D'angelo and O'bryan. They can't stand on "this" List!

ChocolateOrchid said...

This list is definitely on point. I didn't know Luther sang background vocals on David Bowie's "Fame". I'm gonna have to listen to that closely.

achoiceofweapons said...

Hey Chocolate Orchid,
Luther wrote Bowie's Fascination too, Bowie would have Luther open his shows cause he'd say Luther was gonna do it one day and he might as well learn it now. Luther got lovingly fired by Roberta Flack who as legend says said you are too good to be singing background for anyone!

Luther sang on Chic's Yowza Yowza Yowza! Which is one of my least favorite tunes ever but he did!

achoiceofweapons said...

PS don't forget Luther wrote everybody Rejoice for the Wiz!

DC DIVA DATING ADVENTURES said...

Mr. Jaycee, what are we going to do with you. I'm gonna start a petition for Prince to be added.

achoiceofweapons said...

DC,
Prince is absolutely great! He has provided the soundtrack for most of my youth. His sound is distintive however, his voice is not unique. There are Falsettos that are much more deserving to be added to the list before Prince!

Most notably Russell Thompkins Jr, Eddie Kendricks, Harry Ray of the Moments and Philip Bailey of Earth Wind and Fire.

Prince in his chest voice, could not make the list. Not with Earth Wind and Fire's Maurice White left off the list.

Kate-A said...

Isley brothers yes, but the Tops Levi Stubbs does it for me. Here's one tune, sorry it's not the best quality ...

achoiceofweapons said...

Hey Kate A,
I forgot about LEVI Stubbs! Sorry Mr. Stubbs! Has there ever been a vocal like Bernadette?

Reggie said...

There you go, got me digging my CDs out.