Friday, January 9, 2009

Oscar Grant

One night in conversation with my wife, she was shocked to learn that when I was a lil boy I wanted to be a cop. Either a cop or a drag racer. Yeah, I used to watch "The Rookies" with George Sanford Brown, and SWAT, the television show, not that turd they threw Sam Jack in a few years ago. They were heroes! They always went for the bad guy and they caught him! Always caught the bad guy! And if a cop was bad then there were sooo many good cops that they would find a way to shut him down.


It didn't take long before my childhood dreams burned into a pile of ashes. I was home alone when a police officer knocked, hand on her service weapon and ordered me to step outside. I was 12. I unlocked my door slowly, went outside and she asked me if I knew who lived in the house across the street? Sure, that's my Aunt's house! Cops were still friends in my mind. Well, is her Husband's name $^#(E( ##**@? (People still alive, I ain't naming names)
"No, she's not married I said."

"Do you know where this person might live?"

" No, I've never heard of him." Now this wasn't no Camron moment...I was about 11 or 12 and it was still a few years before Compton would become Beirut so I didn't have any gangsta pretensions. The officer left after explaining that she was looking for blah blah blah who gave my aunt's address as his when they arrested him a few nights before and that he was wanted.


After she left I remember there was a Blah Blah on my street but his last name was blah blah wok wok wok wahhhhh!

I thought of the danger she could have put me in. Hell, I would have been Randy from The Wire!

From then on my encounters with police have not been all that positive. From their rude, brash language, the fact that if I'm with two other dudes in a car, then we get followed, the fact I've been stopped, told that I fit the description, when there ain't no way I could have fit it. I'm 5'8 1/2 and at the time was 180 and the dude they were looking for was between 6 feet 4 and 6'7. I was light and he was dark skinned. He was wearing All Black I was just Black!
Cops not friends!
I wondered who Oscar Grant was. I know how the newspapers are describing him, But I mean, who was Oscar? That morning, did he kiss the picture of his daughter and head out for work? Did he iron his work shirt and load up his IPOD before he left the house? Did he leave a dish in the sink figuring that he wash it when he got back?

I know this. Oscar Grant, a Man, a Black Man, A Human Being, 3rd Planet, Oakland, Father, Working dude begged not to be tasered, complied, and was shot in the back! That I know!
The Officer has resigned but has he been arrested? If not, why? If I was arrested for shooting someone I would be arrested, booked, plea, and I wouldn't get bail. Even if it was a tragic accident I wouldn't get bail.

Who was the officer and did he leave his home, kiss his baby, and his wife? Did she complain cause he forgot to take out the trash? What was he thinking as he tried to handcuff a suspect with his service weapon out?

Suspect!

When did Oscar cease to be Oscar and become a Suspect? Was he always just a suspect to the Officer? Did the Officer hear Oscar? Or did the Officer just see a Suspect? A nameless, faceless, statistic riding the BART train?

If You Tube and Cellular Phone cameras didn't exist to film the incident and it happened the same way would Oakland be burning? Strangely, I don't believe it would be. But more importantly Oscar is dead! Does anyone really realize that?

BE Careful! BE Mindful! BE Prayerful!

Jaycee

13 comments:

Miss.Stefanie said...

Cops will never be charged for crimes they did. And it so sad that some cops are definitely twisted.

Obi Asad said...

Some news sources are claiming the execution to be an "accident." Right, and I suppose slavery was an "accident" too, or the Gaza siege is an "accident."

achoiceofweapons said...

Execution implies Murder. Murder is to kill with malice and forethought. In spite of our shared mutual anger let us take heed to Malcolm's counsel, the KILLING took place. It ain't been proven in a court that it was MURDER! Dig?
Jaycee

rainwriter jones said...

Law enforcement officers are given leeway that we as "commoners" aren't given. You know damn well if one of us would have shot one of them, we'd be lucky to go to jail...you'd probably be killed outright.

I know of someone who got arrested (which was unfortunate). But the fortunate thing about this incident was that the person who processed his paperwork knew him, and he made sure that he didn't have an "accident" in the elevator.

I don't know, but it seems as though the system is geared towards those in the know, and/or in power. I saw the video on t.v., and was shocked at this poor man laying defenseless on the ground, in handcuffs, and being shot in the back. He must have been terrified.

Well, it should be interesting to see how they clean this one up.

Obi Asad said...

You got a point, Jay, but still it's hard to not think of this as cold blooded murder. But I guess we'll have to let the courts (as crooked as they are) decide.

achoiceofweapons said...

We, the living, have a unique chance to alter the way police departments conduct stops and arrests. For example in Long Beach, Single officer occupied police cruisers roll up (four at one stop) for a traffic stop involving two men. Not only did they block the streets for a ticket but they gave the impression that these two men were somehow a danger. No, caution, she be used by the officers but there's caution then there's killing a housefly with a shotgun. Overkill!
Jaycee

achoiceofweapons said...

Oops! Caution should be used by the officers but clearly this was overkill.
Jaycee

RiPPa said...

I watched the Youtube video of this brother being executed and I had to wonder if there was no tape, would anyone even care.

achoiceofweapons said...

I watched the video from something called raw feed and it was from a Ladies Cel phone on the train. Definately a WTF moment. As I advised Obi earlier, Executed, Murder, careful with them words. Killing, yes! Most definately. My God! That could have been any of us.
Jaycee

SICKNESS said...

Lol @ that last name.

achoiceofweapons said...

Hi Sickness,
Thanks for commenting but I don't understand your comment. Did you mean to comment on another post and mistakingly hit this one?
I find little levity in the killing of a Brotha.
Thanks for commenting and come again.
Jaycee

Miss Daja said...

you speak very intelligent!
this saddens me..

achoiceofweapons said...

You have terriblly good taste in blogs Miss Fortune, this pleases me. 8-)
Fear no clown!
Jaycee